It’s holiday time, and all of us here at Kruper Flooring Design wanted to share some fun with our followers. So for this week’s blog, we gathered 10 little-known facts from around the web about our favorite topic…flooring!
- Red carpets have symbolized a pathway for important people for over 2000 years. It originated in Greece.
- But the phrase “roll out the red carpet” is thought to come from cruise ships in the early 1900s. They used red carpets to welcome their first-class guests.
- The Magic Carpet in Disney’s Alladin is actually a rug.
- The vacuum cleaner was invented in 1901.
- Which was almost 60 years after the street sweeper was invented.
- Some people think vinyl and linoleum are the same thing, but they’re not. Vinyl is synthetic, while linoleum is made of natural materials.
- Here’s one for the yuck file, if you don’t vacuum your floor for a year it can retain several pounds of dirt.
- The Boston Celtic’s famous parquet floor at the Boston Garden was cut into pieces and sold in 1999 after the team moved into the Fleet Center.
- But some of the pieces from the old floor were incorporated into the Fleet Center’s floor.
- The oldest carpet that still exists today is thought to be 2,000 years old. Called the Pazyryk carpet, it was found in a Scythian tomb in Siberia in the 1940′s
Your flooring may not be 2,000 years old, but if it has seen better days, give us a call and we’ll help you pick out something new.