If you’re looking for a fun, colorful, and funky style then look no further; the bohemian style may be just right for you. What is bohemian style? It originated in France in the 19th century when artists began living near and were influenced by Romani people. These people were mostly artists, performers, and nomads and valued creativity over money. Their ideals are portrayed in the style; it typified a free-spirited, creative, and nomadic lifestyle. This style was neither sophisticated nor expensive. Elements of Bohemian style include bold textures, patterns, and colors. This cozy, care-free style is easy to achieve.
Here are 5 ways you can incorporate bohemian style into your home:
- Decide on a color scheme. Jewel tones, earthy tones, and metallics are all classic, but any kind of color palette is acceptable. It’s also customary to use several bright colors together. The bold colors really make your place pop.
- Use different patterns and textures. Layering different types of patterns and textures is key in the boho style. Shag, wood, vinyl, all of these can be seen in one boho room and it just works. Try to think outside of the lines and be mindful of how these different patterns and textures go together.
- Add a gallery wall. Feel free to mix and match different pictures, this can add a nice creative touch to your home. Just make sure you stick with your color scheme. Gold embroidered frames can be a great option for your gallery wall.
- Bring plants into your home. Not only does this make it feel cozy, but the plants will purify your home. If you do not want to take care of a live plant, plastic plants can also work here to get the right look. Whether real or fake, it brings a natural element into your home. Be sure to include various levels of plant stands for visual interest. For more information, check out our previous article about adding more plants into your home.
- Find unique pieces. Look for furniture that comes from exotic places around the world, vintage shops, or local artisans. They are usually handmade. Some common furniture include hanging chairs, chaises, and daybeds. These unique pieces really add personality to your space. Remember, they don’t all have to be similar or cohesive to work!
- Make combinations. Part of the boho style is to mix different types of furniture and pieces. You could have a persian rug, a vintage sofa, and a Moroccan lamp, all in the same room.
- Showcase your trinkets. If you have collected various trinkets from your travels, be sure to showcase them. It reflects the well-traveled lifestyle of bohemian style. It’s also a great conversation starter when guests are over.
With these simple tips, you will have the bohemian home of your dreams. Keep in mind it takes time to build the right bohemian look. Start collecting and planning items for your home in advance. You don’t want to rush out and buy whatever you can find, rather find items that help you express yourself and your bohemian style.